Basilica of St. Francis
The Basilica complex consists of two churches, the Lower (1228-1230) and Superior (1230- 1253), as well as a crypt dug in 1818, with the saint’s tomb, where the remains in a simple coffin rests on solid rock. To access the first from the lower square, bordered by a ‘400 arcade. The beautiful twin portal is surmounted by three rose windows.
The greatest masters of the ‘200 and’ 300 as Cimabue, Giotto, the Lorenzetti and Simone Martini frescoed walls and ceilings of the Basilica. The beautiful stained glass windows by Giovanni di Bonino and Puccio Capanna.Nella Upper Church of Giotto decorations illustrating the life of the saint. There are also works by Cimabue, Cavallini, Torriti and a wooden choir at the end of ‘400.
In the convent, valuable is the Museum of the Treasury that collects paintings and memorabilia related to the history of the Basilica. The place is a must for all those, believers or not, still feel today the Franciscan message.
In the Lower Church was born the great Italian painting: the nave frescoes by the Master of St. Francis; the chapel of St. Martin presents the complete cycle of stories of the saint painted by Simone Martini; the Maddalena chapel was decorated with frescoes by Giotto; a fresco by Cimabue is admirable on the right transept; on the left transept Pietro Lorenzetti painted some stories of Christ’s Passion. The cruise on the altar, painted by the Master of Sails, is the glory of St. Francis and the allegories of Obedience, Chastity, and Poverty.
In the Upper Church artistic genius was lavished with renewing and creative power. Here the Nordic gothic was revised in a more simple ritual expression, in harmony with the Franciscan motto exaltation of Poverty.
There is the testimony of the transition from the Byzantine-Romanesque artistic culture to the Italian one.
The presbytery was painted by Cimabue, the Master Oltremontano and Jacopo Torriti.
The nave was decorated with stories from the Old and New Testaments by Romans and local masters. The lower register of the nave is the famous cycle of the life of St. Francis.
Basilica of Santa Chiara h3>
The Basilica of St. Clare is located on the homonymous square, and was built over the San Giorgio.Qui church there was San Francesco buried after death span>
took place in Portiuncula, and was canonized there. The Basilica of St. Clare was built in 1257, the Italian Gothic style and was consecrated in 1265.
The facade is very simple and is covered from the famous “stone of Assisi” of white and pink. Span>
This church was designed by Brother Philip from Campello. The interior has a nave in gothic style with cross vaults, which the left side shows traces of affreschi.Alla right of the nave is the Chapel of the Crucifixion where the Crucifix of the twelfth sec.che is preserved spoke to St. Francis, in San Damiano.
Behind a grate several well-preserved relics including: the cassock and his breviary of St. Francis, the gown embroidered Santa Chiara, the tunic and cloak of the Holy, and inside a box or the hair is kept. On the altar there is a crucifix of ‘200e on the right side of the transept there is a precious painting by the Master of Santa Chiara of the thirteenth century. depicting the Holy and the most significant moments of his life. In the transept, a fresco of St. Clare’s death, and to the left is a table with majesty of the thirteenth century. and part of a fresco depicting a Nativity.
Below the aisle, it comes down to access to the crypt was built between 1850 and 1872, where there is the body of the saint. In 1850 they were found the remains in the tomb under the altar and they recently redid the mask, hands and feet in resin of the Holy Body. Going up a narrow staircase, you can see the tomb where he was buried the body. Santa Chiara died in 1253, and two years later was canonized by Pope Alexander IV. Span> p>
Bosco di San Francesco h3>
the visit to Bosco di San Francesco the Italian Environment Fund offers unique emotions: leaving behind the grandiose Basilica of Assisi, the path follows the narrow path that leads to the valley floor, passing from the shadows of the trees in the glow of the clearing. < / span> p>
This is where strolling are the remains of a microcosm inhabited by Benedictine nuns: a hospital, the monastery, the church, a bridge, a mill and, crossed the fields, you discover an ancient tower-mill. To close the “Third Paradise”, ingenious communion between art and landscape, created specifically for the Forest contemporary Maestro Michelangelo Pistoletto. Span>
Cross the Bosco di San Francesco is to embark on a small inner journey into nature, history and the sacred. Nature is the main element of this place, but should be read in connection with the history, the work of man and the activity of religious orders who have lived and worked here. It is inspired by this historical ideal-landscape system that are then presented three reading keys, three different visions of the same environment, intrecciabili between them and between their overlapping nature, its history and spiritual span>.
“Il Mercato delle Gaite” h3>
The ancient town of Roman origins of Bevagna is on the western fringe of the Foligno plain, at the foot of the hill Group where Montefalco rises at the ‘bend of the river Timia. span>
Today’s appearance is surely the result of the medieval development, in fact, though the Romans had set the ‘ancient Menania so that the Via Flaminia was decumanus of the town, today the urban center of gravity is located further south. They are not to be missed in Piazza Silvestri the Gothic Palace of the Consuls, situated singularly oblique than the roads and the churches of San Silvestro (1195 d. C.), and St. Michael the Archangel; the fountain which completes the scene of this exceptional public space is a remake of the nineteenth time.
Even today, the medieval town portals are well preserved, even after reconstructive measures such as the 1797 Port of San Venanzo and long sections of the ‘old city walls. There are, moreover, evidence of the ancient origins of Bevagna: the remains of a temple from the second century A.D. on which it was erected the medieval Church of Our Lady of the Snows, the Roman theater (II century AD) which remains to serve as foundations to a circular block along the course of the ancient Flaminia and the impressive remains of mosaics perhaps belonging to a thermal baths building representing marine animals. Among the most important manifestations taking place in the city we should absolutely mention the reenactment of The Market of the Gaite. Span> p>